Configuring the HP Wireless Printer
Use this HP Wireless Printer Setup Guide to configure your printer in time and easy steps:
- Unpack the printer.
- Follow the setup instructions to remove the packaging.
- Connect the power cord, turn on the printer, and install the print cartridges. Let the printer run the startup routine, including printing an alignment page (if applicable).
- Choose one of the connection methods described below. If your printer supports this and you select an Ethernet connection (cable connection), connect it now and continue with the printer software installation. Note: The printer’s wireless system is disabled while using an Ethernet connection.
If you want to print wirelessly without a WiFi router, you can find more here.
Your printer supports one or more of the following methods to connect to the wireless printer network:
WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) –
- Both the printer and the wireless router must support the WPS button mode. Refer to the printer and wireless router manuals.
- For the WLAN router, there must be a physical WPS button.
- Your network must use WPA or WPA2 security.
- Some WPS wireless modems will not connect using the WPS method if you use the manufacturer’s default network name and there is no security.
To connect the WiFi printer to the WiFi router using WPS:
- Turn on the WPS button mode on the printer. For instructions on starting WPS on the printer, see the printer’s manual.
- Press the WPS button on your router in 2 minutes.
New technologies have made the HP printer smarter than ever, making printing simple and convenient. From now on, you can print anything you want anytime, anywhere. Moreover, you can only print documents from your mobile devices. Looking for how to connect your HP printer to WiFi? Start from here and start a joyful journey of easy printing.
You have 4 options to connect your HP printer to WiFi:
- HP Auto Wireless Connection
- The Wireless Configuration Wizard
- WPS Push Button Connect
- Connect your HP printer without a router
Method 1: HP Auto Wireless Connection
HP Auto Wireless Connect allows you to automatically connect your printer to the wireless network. You do not need to connect cables or enter wireless network settings, such as network name or password.
To use this option, you must first install the software for your printer.
- Go to the HP Software Support page and enter your printer model. Download the driver according to your operating system and follow the on-screen instructions to install it on your computer.
- Turn on the printer and run the software.
- When prompted for the type of network connection (Ethernet / Wireless), choose Wireless, and then click Yes, send the wireless settings to the printer (recommended).
- Wait for the printer to connect. This may take several minutes. When you’re done, click Finish. Your HP printer is now ready for a print job.
Method 2: Wireless Configuration Wizard
You can connect your HP printer to WiFi using the Wireless Setup Wizard in the printer control panel. This method only applies to the HP graphic display printer.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect any USB or Ethernet cables from the printer.
- From the control panel of your printer, touch the wireless icon or access the Network menu.
- Select Wireless Settings, and then tap Wireless Setup Wizard.
- Find your network and enter the WEP or WPA key, then click OK.
Note: If you cannot find the WiFi name on the list, you can enter the new network name manually.
Method 3: WPS Push Button Connect
If both the router and the HP printer support Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) mode, you can connect the printer to WiFi with just one press of the printer and router within 2 minutes.
Step 1: Press the WPS button on your printer.
If there is no physical button on the printer, you can access the control panel to turn on the WPS button. Touch the Wireless menu, and then click the Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup. Select the WPS Button option. You will then be prompted to press the WPS button on the router.
Step 2: Press the WPS button on the router in 2 minutes.
Note: If your computer requests a Pin, you can take a look at your printer. If the pin code is not displayed, you can get it from Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
Method 4: Connect your HP printer without a router
In fact, you do not need an Internet connection to complete your print job. Wi-Fi Direct ™ and HP Wireless Direct allow you to print documents directly from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. All you need is to connect your device to the HP WiFi printer just like any other wireless network.
Wi-Fi Direct or HP Wireless Direct?
- Both of these features allow your devices to connect directly to the printer, but there are some differences between them. For example, Wi-Fi Direct allows your devices to maintain an Internet connection at the same time. However, you cannot gain network access with HP Wireless Direct.
How to connect to Wi-Fi Direct or HP Wireless Direct?
- Turn on the HP Wireless Direct or Wi-Fi Direct from the printer control panel. On the printer control panel, touch the HP Wireless Direct icon or navigate to the Network Setup or Wireless Settings menu and touch Wireless Direct, then turn on the connection.
- On your computer or mobile device, connect to Wi-Fi Direct or HP Wireless Direct as you would any other wireless network.
- Note: The name format of the Wi-Fi Direct and HP Wireless Direct is slightly different.
- You will be prompted for a WPA2 password if you are using Wi-Fi Direct or HP Wireless Direct for security.
- On your computer, open a document or photo on your computer or mobile device and click File> Print.
- For mobile devices, you can just touch Print from an application menu. If the application does not support printing, you will need to install the latest version of the HP Printer Service Plugin.